Monday, September 15, 2008

Power Outage

Our power was out this morning. On the radio, I discovered there were outages all over the area and a high-wind warning travel advisory until 6 am. I wondered if the church's power was out. I decided to cancel seminary.

There was at least one other seminary family without power. And it came back on for both of us at about 5:45 am. I still don't know if the church's power was out. Maybe not. Maybe I shouldn't have cancelled. Hopefully I made the right decision. In situations like these, it's very difficult to know what to do.
As a result of the cancellation, all assignments are pushed back a day.
Losing power reminds me of last fall when Roger and I were in the Palmyra Temple. We were attending a session and there was a wild storm that knocked out the power. For a short moment, the lights in the temple flickered out. Then they came right back on and everything proceeded as normal. We could hear the low hum of a generator. As we left the temple, it was obvious that everywhere else in the community there was no power. There were candles in some windows, but most of the world was dark. It seemed symbolic of the power of the temple. The power was on, bright, beautiful, and continuous inside the temple. Outside, there was no power and little light. Much of the world is very dark. I am thankful we have temples and that we can feel peace and Heavenly Father's power there.

No comments: